- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cream, butter and salt until butter is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Drain potatoes; return to pot. Mash potatoes, gradually adding cream mixture. Stir in cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forMashed Potatoes with Cheddar
"I will make this for next big family dinner OR may do it before&freeze leftovers < after we've tasted it ourselves.I know the latter idea may not work out as mealiness may develop."
"Yum for the way I changed it. Sorry, Darlene. I used 1 cup raw milk, 1 stick butter, 1 Tablespoon seasoned salt, a scant teaspoon granulated garlic, with Havarti and white cheddar party slices and 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar."
"I definitely thought this was a great recipe. I did switch things up a little. I left on the skins of the potatoes and I transferred the whole thing to a 3 qt. slow cooker so I could keep it warm for Thanksgiving and it would be easy to travel with. I always make a slow cooker side dish to bring to my moms and I decided to make this and just make it a slow cooker recipe. I do think next time I will try with with milk and butter instead of half and half cream. I usually use just milk and butter and I didn't taste much difference using the half and half cream, especially with all the cheese you add in :)"
"We rarely eat mashed potatoes but I decided to give this recipe a try. It was quite delicious and everyone loved it. I agree that it is a nice change from plain mashed potatoes. Will make again."
"These mashed potatoes are fantastic! I followed the recipe exactly and they were awesome. My seven year old daughter ate them for dinner four nights in a row and then said "Mommy when I'm a grown-up will you give me this recipe?" How do you beat that, I wrote it down for her and put it in a safe place. I am not very good at making gravy and this is five times better anyway, definitely a keeper recipe!"