One day, I wanted to make my mashed potatoes more interesting, so I added a carrot and some onion. This delightful dish adds color to any entree and makes an attractive plate.
Recommended: 25 New Ways to Make Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch sugar
- Place the vegetables in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and place vegetables in a mixing bowl; mash until smooth. Add the cream, butter, salt, pepper and sugar; mix well. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mashed Potatoes with Carrot in Reminisce Extra April 2004, p52