INSTEAD of the usual hot dog and bun meal, I like to make more of a main meal. It's a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes and the toppings can be varied. Best of all, it's kid-friendly and very easy to make to fit everyone's preferences.
Recommended: 45 Comfort Food Mashups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 hot dogs
- 1-1/3 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 2 slices process American cheese, cut into quarters
- Salsa and chopped green onions
- Make a lengthwise cut three-fourths of the way through each hot dog. Open hot dogs and place cut side up on a baking sheet. Top with mashed potatoes and cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Spread with salsa and sprinkle with onions. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mashed Potato-Topped Hot Dogs in Reminisce October/November 2006, p49
Reviews forMashed Potato-Topped Hot Dogs
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2012
"teenagers love them!"
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2008
"This has been a family favorite since I was a kid. I now cook for my family...but we top with a white gravy and cheese instead of salsa. I'm going to try the salsa topping."