Mashed Potato Meat Loaf
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water, milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in potato flakes. Let stand for 30 seconds. Fluff with a fork; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, oats, green pepper, onion, pepper and remaining salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 3. On a piece of waxed paper, pat beef mixture into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spoon mashed potatoes lengthwise down the center third to within 1 in. of edges. Bring long sides over potatoes to meet in center; seal seam and edges.
- 4. Place seam side up in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes; drain. Pour V8 juice over loaf. Top with ketchup.
- 5. Bake 18-22 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
1 slice: 278 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 991mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Jun 29, 2017
I'm a meat and potato kinda guy and this recipe hits the spot!! We love it !!!
Oct 30, 2016
First found this recipe in the magazine ToH back in 2003, it's simple & delicious!
May 22, 2012
I used a butter & herb mashed potato pouch and instead of spicy v-8 juice, I pureed a can of diced fire roasted tomatoes, which was really yummy. Next time I might use roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Very good recipe!
Dec 31, 1969
I added mozzarella and cheddar cheese to the potatoe mixture and I put the meat mixture on tin foil and then when I rolled it up I just tranferred it to the dish. Way easier this way!! Very good recipe.