- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; set aside. Mash potatoes; set aside 1 cup. (Save remaining potatoes for another use.)
- Heat reserved potato liquid to 110°-115°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar in potato liquid; let stand 5 minutes. Add warm water, mashed potatoes, butter, eggs, sugar, milk powder, salt, vanilla and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and chill overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spread butter over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the dough.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices; place cut side down in three greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forMashed Potato Cinnamon Rolls
"This is the only cinnamon roll recipe I use. It never fails to produce rave reviews. Like another reviewer, I save the potato water from boiling the potatoes. (It's good in any kind of bread recipe - not just this one.)"
"I don't get how these only have 5 reviews! :) These are by far the best cinnamon rolls I have ever made or tasted! I'm ALWAYS asked for the recipe. I too make my own cream cheese frosting. I also use the potato water that I boiled the potatoes in for my "2 cups of water" that is called out in the recipe. It makes them SO fluffy and soft."
"These are by far our favorite cinnamon rolls. They are ooey-gooey & delicious! The only thing I like to do different is put a cream cheese frosting on them."
"I think there is a mistake on sugar. 3/4 cup sugar is listed twice. Is that a booboo?"
"This is the best cinnamon roll recipe ever and everyone I ever serve them too agrees."