Mashed Potato Chicken Roll-Ups
“My grandchildren always help me in the kitchen,” says Rosemary Gisin of Peekskill, New York. “Nicole, 6, loves to help combine and assemble casseroles. Joey, 8, invented this recipe.”
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 tub (24 ounces) refrigerated cheddar mashed potatoes, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Spread 2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes down the center of each; top with spinach. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs and water. Place bread crumbs in a third bowl. Coat chicken with flour, dip in egg mixture, then roll in crumbs.
- Place seam side down in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- In a small saucepan, combine soup and milk; cook over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Heat the remaining mashed potatoes according to package directions. Discard toothpicks; serve with sauce and potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 458 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1218mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Jul 16, 2010
Great entertaining dish! Everyone I've made it for has simply gone wild over it. The chicken is tender and it's just got a really nice flavor, especially topped with the mushroom gravy. Yummy stuff!!