This recipe was created as an attempt to use up a great turnip season from our garden as well as lighten up one of our favorite dishes. By using turnips in place of potatoes, I made a low-carb side. Now we rarely serve plain mashed potatoes! —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Featured In: Top 10 Turnip Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-1/4-in. pieces
- 1 large potato (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1-1/4-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Place turnips, potato and enough water to cover in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain; return to pan.
- Mash vegetables to desired consistency. Stir in remaining ingredients. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mashed Peppery Turnips in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p64