With rum-soaked cranberries in sweet homemade marzipan, these chewy bars are perfect for the holidays. Dust the cooled squares with confectioners’ sugar for a pretty presentation.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1/4 cup spiced rum or brandy
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- For marzipan, place almonds and 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add the extract, corn syrup and remaining confectioners' sugar; cover and process for 1 minute. Add egg white; process until mixture forms a ball. Remove and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, heat rum on high until it begins to boil, about 30 seconds. Stir in cranberries; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Stir into creamed mixture just until combined. Chop marzipan into 1/4-in. pieces; add marzipan, rum mixture and almonds to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteMeringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Marzipan Squares in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013