Mary’s Bean Tarts
This tart's main ingredient, beans, are not necessarily thought of as a dessert but these tarts are so sweet that they could be served as an appetizer or dessert.—Mary Fleming, Bow Island, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 dozen tarts
- 1 cup cooked great northern beans or pinto beans
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dried currants
- 24 prepared 3-in. tart shells
- Mash or puree beans; add eggs. Add the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and nutmeg; beat well. Place a few currants in each tart shell. Add filling.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
Editor's Note: Maple flavoring can be substituted for vanilla extract, and pecans or walnuts for currants.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 124 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Mary's Bean Tarts in Country Woman January/February 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.