Marvelous Mushroom Muffins
A different sort of muffin, but one that has received lots of compliments. Sharp cheddar cheese gives an added bite.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Drain mushrooms, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Chop mushrooms. In a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, oil and reserved mushroom liquid; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese and mushrooms.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 176 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Marvelous Mushroom Muffins in Country Extra July 2010