Marvelous Mushroom Muffins
A different sort of muffin, but one that has received lots of compliments. Sharp cheddar cheese gives an added bite.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Drain mushrooms, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Chop mushrooms. In a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, oil and reserved mushroom liquid; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese and mushrooms.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 176 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Marvelous Mushroom Muffins in Country Extra July 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.