Marvelous Cannoli Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package French vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and extracts; stir in chocolate. In another bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts on medium speed until creamy (do not overmix).
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining filling over top of cake to within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 2 cups frosting.
- Press almonds into sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 591 calories, 37g fat (15g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Jul 9, 2019
Looks yummy and delicious-thanks
Jun 15, 2019
This is the second time I made this cake. I can’t understand why the frosting is like water I followed recipe and can not get it to be thicker. I think the next time I will use the filling all over the cake
Jun 11, 2019
I made this this evening. I did not adjust anything. Perfect the way it is.
May 26, 2019
Made this cake for a party and everyone loved it. I was pleased with the lightness of the cake. I don’t usually use cake mixes however loved the French vanilla cake mix. I think I will use a better quality ricotta next time as the filling was a bit grainy, runny. It did improve with chilling. The cake looked beautiful and people were shocked I made it. They thought I bought it in a bakery. Use best quality ingredients for this cake. It is worth it.
Mar 11, 2019
I just made this over the weekend at the request of my 16 year old for a cannoli cake for his birthday. Read the reviews first. I drained my ricotta the night before in a strainer. I used Galbani whole milk ricotta. Only a small amount drained out. I think a good quality ricotta definitely makes a difference. I had no problem with the filling setting. It was fine. I did double it and glad I did. I omitted the milk completely from the frosting it was fine without it, and added a little extra powdered sugar. I also admitted all extracts in filling and frosting except vanilla as we only like vanilla flavoring. And also omitted the almonds as my daughter has an allergy. Overall it was very good. Even better the next day. I would definitely make this cake again.
Mar 9, 2019
Like other reviews, a couple suggestions: 1) drain the ricotta thoroughly! 2) Omit the cream in the frosting
Feb 4, 2019
Mascarpone comes in various textures from yogurt to hard butter. The authentic Italian method is drained before it is packaged. Research the brands that are best for frosting. Cooks illustrated has a breakdown of brands. I used Galbone, both for the mascarpone
Dec 24, 2018
This recipe is a total flop. I doubled the filling to use a frosting as was suggested. It never solidified paste the consistency of mayonnaise. It is Christmas Eve and all I have is a sweet soggy mess.
Jun 8, 2018
This cake is delicious. Like some reviewers, I drain the ricotta overnight and left out the rum extract and it was perfect.
Dec 28, 2017
I made this for Christmas. My family loved it. Instead of making the frosting. I read the notes and made double filling. I used the rest of the filling for frosting. I didn't add chocolate to filling. I made cake into 4 layers. After spreading filling on each layer. I sprinkled mini chocolate chips and chopped walnuts on each layer. Frosted the cake with the rest of filling and sprinkled mini chocolate chips and chopped walnuts on top. No nuts on the side. It was a big success. Will definitely make it again. The flavors were amazing.