Martha Washington Pies
This recipe was handed down to me by my mother. It's so easy to make and always gets compliments. I like topping the nutty meringues with strawberries at Christmas, and I use peaches during the summer. —Ginger Clark of Hinesville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 12 crackers)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in nuts, crackers and vanilla. Drop by rounded 1/3 cupfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Shape into 3-1/2-in. rounds with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until set. Turn oven off; leave in oven with door closed for 2 hours. Toss strawberries with the remaining sugar; spoon 2/3 cup into each shell. Dollop each with whipped topping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 253 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Martha Washington Pies in Light & Tasty December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.