Marshmallow Fruit Bowl
Patricia Staudt of Marble Rock, Iowa dresses up canned fruit with marshmallows and a home-cooked pudding-like dressing to make this light and refreshing salad. At 31 cents a serving, it's an economical addition to most any meal.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1 can (15 ounces) chunky mixed fruit
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whipped topping
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Drain pineapple and mixed fruit, reserve 1 cup of juice. Set fruit aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in lemon juice and reserved fruit juices until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Cool completely.
- Fold in the whipped topping, marshmallows, pineapple and mixed fruit. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 117 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Marshmallow Fruit Bowl in Quick Cooking January/February 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.