Patricia Staudt of Marble Rock, Iowa dresses up canned fruit with marshmallows and a home-cooked pudding-like dressing to make this light and refreshing salad. At 31 cents a serving, it's an economical addition to most any meal.
Recommended: Birthday Cake Decorating Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1 can (15 ounces) chunky mixed fruit
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whipped topping
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Drain pineapple and mixed fruit, reserved 1 cup of juice. Set fruit aside. In a saucepan, combine lemon juice, sugar, flour and reserved fruit juice; stir until smooth. Cook and stir until heated through. Add a small amount of hot liquid to eggs; return all to pan. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Cool completely. Fold in whipped topping. Fold in marshmallows, pineapple and mixed fruit. Transfer to a serving bowl. Yield: 10 (1/2-cup) servings.
Originally published as Marshmallow Fruit Bowl in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p42