Marshmallow Cream with Custard Sauce
This dessert has always been a favorite of my husband and children. The original recipe came from my great-grandmother and has been passed down through the generations.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine egg whites, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat with a portable mixer on high speed until mixture reaches 160°. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute. Spoon into dessert glasses; refrigerate until chilled.
- For custard sauce, heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around side of pan. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, combine egg yolks, egg and sugar. Whisk a small amount of hot milk into egg mixture; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir on low until mixture reaches 160° and coats a spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Serve custard sauce over marshmallow cream; top with raspberries.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 143 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Marshmallow Cream with Custard Sauce in Country June/July 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.