VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in 2 teaspoons flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the crab, mushrooms and Parmesan cheese.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Top each piece with 3 tablespoons crab mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; tie with kitchen string.
- In a shallow bowl, combine paprika and remaining flour. Add chicken rolls, one at a time, and turn to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining butter on all sides.
- Add wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. In a small bowl, combine flour and bouillon; stir in water until blended. Stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cut string off chicken rolls; top with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Crab-Stuffed Chicken Breasts in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p22