I live in the heart of citrus country and think this cookie really captures that area's flavor. Orange marmalade, juice and peel give the cookie and frosting a delightful tropical taste. —Shirleene Wilkins, Lake Placid, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in marmalade and pecans if desired.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter and orange zest until blended. Add enough orange juice to reach spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 116 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Marmalade Chews in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.