I live in the heart of citrus country and think this cookie really captures that area's flavor. Orange marmalade, juice and peel give the cookie and frosting a delightful tropical taste. —Shirleene Wilkins, Lake Placid, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in marmalade and pecans if desired.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter and orange zest until blended. Add enough orange juice to reach spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 116 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Marmalade Chews in Best of Country Cookies