- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large kohlrabi bulb, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- In a stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in kohlrabi, celery, onions and carrots; cook 5 minutes or until onions are softened. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock, beans and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; simmer 5 minutes more. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forMarket Basket Soup
"This was very filling and fresh-tasting. My grocery store didn't have kohlrabi so I used a turnip. I also made a half batch and still had leftovers since this makes a very large batch to start with."