Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram or 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the carrots, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, lentils, marjoram and sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sherry or additional broth and parsley; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 216 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 13g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Mar 21, 2013
This is a real winner. I did not have Sherry so I subbed Marsala and a little lemon juice. Wow! This is a fantastic dish!
Jan 11, 2012
This was so hearty,filling and healthy. Just right on a cold winter day. I added a jalapeno pepper for a little heat. Next time I plan to add a small amount of chopped spinach or other greens to make it even healthier.