I took over the cooking when I retired, much to my wife's delight. Here's a marinade that's foolproof—I just dump all the ingredients into a container...and the steak comes out great every time! —Gordon Richardson of Spring Hill, Florida
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + marinating Grill: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak (1-1/2 inches thick)
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour 3/4 cup marinade into a shallow dish; add the beef and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 10-12 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Baste with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 242 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 799mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Marinated Steak in Light & Tasty June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.