This flavorful fruit was actually the topping in a cake recipe. But I didn't want all the calories or fat from the cake—and the oranges are a good dessert all by themselves! The dash of vanilla extract brings out the fruit's sweetness. —Carol Poindexter, Norridge, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium oranges, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- Lime peel strips and vanilla yogurt, optional
- Mix first six ingredients, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Place oranges in a glass bowl; add juice mixture.
- Refrigerate, covered, until flavors are blended, 2-3 hours. If desired, top with lime peel and serve with yogurt.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 86 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Marinated Oranges in Light & Tasty December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.