- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cold
- 1 package (10 ounces) sharp white cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/3 cup pitted Greek olives
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (2 ounces) pimiento strips, drained and chopped
- Toasted French bread baguette slices
- Cut cream cheese lengthwise in half; cut each half into 1/4-in. slices. On a serving plate, arrange cheeses upright in a ring, alternating cheddar and cream cheese slices. Place olives in center.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, parsley, basil and garlic until blended; drizzle over cheeses and olives. Sprinkle with pimientos. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours or overnight. Serve with baguette slices. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forMarinated Olive & Cheese Ring
"Some of our older family members raved about this recipe as " this is antepasto from back in the day .... this is how it should be made". I added rolled traditional hard salami and placed between layers of cheese. No other changes should be made to this EXCELLENT recipe. Thank you for sharing!"
"I MADE THIS FOR THE FAMILY TODAY AND IT WAS A HIT, NEXT TIME I WILL USE A MILDER CHEESE, BUT OTHERWISE THIS RECIPE IS A KEEPER.."
"The stars don't seem to be working but I give it 5! This is a great recipe and easy, a little time consuming if you want it to look perfect. I sliced the cream cheese but used a knife to kind of stick it to each piece of cheddar (the first time I used extra sharp and it was too much flavor), I have it chilling now with organic white cheddar and it's going to be better. Be sure to use a platter that is deep with sides to prevent the marinade from overflowing. I'm using small rosemary and sea salt packaged crostini with it."
"I would not change one thing about this recipe. Not only is it beautiful with minimal effort. It s savory and delicious. Dont let the cream cheese part scare you away, the marinated cream cheese is so good it doesnt even taste like cream cheese anymore. This is a definite keeper. Everyone was wowed by the presentation and the taste!"
"This was the easiest appetizer I made during the holidays. I will definitely serve it again. I followed some suggestions and substituted the cheese selections. I used a soft mozzarella, feta slices, provolone and gruyere. I also added some artichoke hearts as suggested. I've taken it to several get togethers and have been asked for the recipe many times."
"My husband absolutely loves marinated olives and can practically make a meal out of them. This was a no brainer to make. I read the other reviews and used regular cream cheese as recommended. I used rosemary olive oil bread because that is what I had on hand. It was a HUGE hit with him and his mother."
"Fabulous. Made 3 times during the Holiday at repeated requests. You MUST use full fat cream cheese for the slices to hold shape. I didn't want to fool with basil, garlic and parsley and I had basil pesto on hand so I just used it. I also added a ring of pepperoni around the outside of ring. I did use pimentos and I only used black and regular green olives. The artichoke someone suggested would have been great. Served this with sea salt pita chips. As you can tell with multiple requests for a repeat it was a hit each time!"
"I made this for a New Year's party, it was a hit! The olives are perfectly flavored to accompany the cheese. It was a great nibble appetizer!"
"This is a great appetizer! So pretty and soooo delicious! I love it at Christmas because of the colors, but I've started making it year round. Everyone who's tried it has loved it. I've made it with mild white cheddar and it was good, too. I've also started slicing the olives. They stay on the bread better that way. Still looks pretty. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Patricia."