Marinated Citrus Salad
This citrus salad evolved over the years by combining a little bit of what everyone in my family likes.—Katrina Heinrich, Underhill, Vermont
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 3 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 32 fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 6 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the orange juice, vinegar, marmalade, sugar, pepper and salt; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- In another large bowl, combine the grapefruit, oranges, asparagus, cucumber, onion and avocado. Add the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Drain and reserve marinade. Arrange lettuce on plates; top with fruit mixture. Sprinkle with mint if desired. Serve with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 143 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Marinated Citrus Salad in Country Woman November/December 2000