This recipe from my sister-in-law is especially good when entertaining for New Year's and football games. No one walks away hungry after eating one of these hearty sandwiches. —Elizabeth Stoddart, West Lafayette, Indiana
Recommended: Sandwich Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 small onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- In a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Transfer roast and marinade to a Dutch oven. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Thinly slice; serve beef and juice on rolls. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Marinated Beef Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p182