Marilyn’s Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 to 6 slices thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Mozzarella cheese slices
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, tomato juice, bread crumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Crumble beef over the top; mix well.
- On a piece of waxed paper, pat meat mixture into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Place ham slices on meat; sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Starting at narrow end, roll meat mixture jelly-roll style. Seal seam and end of the roll. Place seam side down in a shallow baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink remains; drain. Cut mozzarella slices in triangles; place on top of loaf. Return to oven just until cheese begins to melt.
Nov 9, 2008
I used cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella, and American cheese slices instead of mozzarella.
Jan 30, 2008
After making this meat loaf recipe several times, I decided to try another. My family asked after tasting my newest effort, "Where's the ham?" They want and expect Marilyn's Meat Loaf, so I don't dare to make another type when my boys are home.