Mardi Gras Beef
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, juice drained and reserved
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Meanwhile, sprinkle steak with remaining garlic powder.
- Grill or broil steak 5 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes (for medium-rare), on each side, or until desired doneness is reached.
- Add tomatoes to skillet. Combine reserved tomato juice and cornstarch; add to vegetable mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thinly slice meat; serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 263 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2018
I cook once a week for a large crowd (up to 65 or so people). Used this recipe one week and it got rave reviews! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to grill the meat, so I seasoned it, roasted it and then sliced it. Since I served it during the days before Mardi Gras, I used red, green and yellow peppers to get as close to the Mardi Gras colors as I could. Made for a very colorful and festive dinner that was easy to put together!
Aug 19, 2014
Very quick and easy to make. Good flavor.
Jul 10, 2011
I love this recipe, I have been making it for a number of years. It's a great weeknight dinner that won't skeep you in the kitchen.