Mardi Gras Beef
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, juice drained and reserved
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Meanwhile, sprinkle steak with remaining garlic powder.
- Grill or broil steak 5 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes (for medium-rare), on each side, or until desired doneness is reached.
- Add tomatoes to skillet. Combine reserved tomato juice and cornstarch; add to vegetable mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thinly slice meat; serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 263 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
I cook once a week for a large crowd (up to 65 or so people). Used this recipe one week and it got rave reviews! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to grill the meat, so I seasoned it, roasted it and then sliced it. Since I served it during the days before Mardi Gras, I used red, green and yellow peppers to get as close to the Mardi Gras colors as I could. Made for a very colorful and festive dinner that was easy to put together!
Aug 19, 2014
Very quick and easy to make. Good flavor.
Jul 10, 2011
I love this recipe, I have been making it for a number of years. It's a great weeknight dinner that won't skeep you in the kitchen.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.