Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 egg; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring water, butter and chocolate to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in flour and remaining sugar. Stir in the sour cream, baking soda, salt and remaining eggs until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Dollop cream cheese mixture over the top; cut through batter with a knife to swirl cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Apr 7, 2016
Yummy ... good recipe.
Sep 6, 2014
I had made these squares when the recipe was first featured in TOH and I made them again on 9/6/14 for our chapel picnic. This definitely rates as a 5* recipe-they're so moist and simply scrumptious! I did adjust the recipe by adding 1 tsp. vanilla extract to the batter and I used 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa instead of unsweetened chocolate! I used a 5.3-oz. container of unflavored Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream and I'd also used 1 tsp. of salt, rather than 1/2 tsp. I greased and floured my 15x10x1" baking pan and baked 30 minutes! I got LESS than 5 dozen-I got about 3 to 3-1/2 dozen, depending on the size the bars are cut! What I did was SIFT flour with baking soda and salt and added the 2 cups sugar for dry ingredients!I did bring water, butter and cocoa just to a boil, then removed from heat!A tidbit-one of my cousins had prepared these bars and she also declared them a winner (I'd given her a gift subscription to TOH)! Thank you, Pat Habiger, for this recipe! delowenstein
Jun 19, 2009
These are the best!