Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 egg; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring water, butter and chocolate to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in flour and remaining sugar. Stir in the sour cream, baking soda, salt and remaining eggs until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Dollop cream cheese mixture over the top; cut through batter with a knife to swirl cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 194 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 7, 2016
Yummy ... good recipe.
Sep 6, 2014
I had made these squares when the recipe was first featured in TOH and I made them again on 9/6/14 for our chapel picnic. This definitely rates as a 5* recipe-they're so moist and simply scrumptious! I did adjust the recipe by adding 1 tsp. vanilla extract to the batter and I used 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa instead of unsweetened chocolate! I used a 5.3-oz. container of unflavored Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream and I'd also used 1 tsp. of salt, rather than 1/2 tsp. I greased and floured my 15x10x1" baking pan and baked 30 minutes! I got LESS than 5 dozen-I got about 3 to 3-1/2 dozen, depending on the size the bars are cut! What I did was SIFT flour with baking soda and salt and added the 2 cups sugar for dry ingredients!I did bring water, butter and cocoa just to a boil, then removed from heat!A tidbit-one of my cousins had prepared these bars and she also declared them a winner (I'd given her a gift subscription to TOH)! Thank you, Pat Habiger, for this recipe! delowenstein
Jun 19, 2009
These are the best!