Maraschino Party Cake
Here's the recipe for Carol Anne's favorite birthday cake-minus that secret "optional" ingredient, of course.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 16 maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional maraschino cherries, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg whites and cherry juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in cherries and nuts.
- Place the batter in two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar in a heavy saucepan over low heat or double boiler over simmering water. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Spread between the layers and over the top and sides of cake. Garnish with cherries if desired.
Editor's NoteA stand mixer is recommended for beating the frosting after it reaches 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 431 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Maraschino Party Cake in Reminisce January/February 2004