Maraschino Cherry Rice Pudding
As a grandmother, I've been cooking for many years and love to share my recipes. This pretty pastel dessert is a fun choice when you need something sweet for a special occasion. —Sharon Crider, Junction City, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Dash salt
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the rice, milk, sugar, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in cherries and vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cherry juice and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, beat egg white and cream of tartar in a large heat-proof bowl until stiff peaks form. With mixer running on high speed, carefully add hot syrup in a slow steady stream. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Stir in extract. Dollop over pudding. Garnish with cherries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup pudding with 2 tablespoons topping: 226 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Maraschino Cherry Rice Pudding in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.