Maraschino Cherry Almond Bread Recipe
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- ALMOND BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving juice; add enough water to juice to measure 1/2 cup. Cut cherries into quarters; blot dry and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved juice. Stir in cherries and almonds.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. In a small bowl, combine the almond butter ingredients. Serve with bread. Yield: 1 loaf (1/2 cup almond butter).
1 slice: 331 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Maraschino Cherry Almond Bread
"I have made this recipe at least 10 times and each time have been asked for the recipe! The only things I did differently were to use almond extract instead of vanilla, and omit the almonds completely (we have a nut allergy in the house). It has turned out WONDERFUL every time. The last time I made it, I made muffins with a cream cheese center and streussal topping! DELECTABLE!"
"If you omit the Almond and use walnut, and put in a 1/4 cup of sunflower oil and don't dry the maraschino cherries or cut them. Put them in whole and use the large jar of maraschino cherries, it's good. When you cut the bread the cherries are so much better."
"I also followed this recipe exactly and agree with the other review that it is awful!! My bread didnt burn or stick to the pan but it was extremely dry and tasteless and I threw it away. Very disappointing especially since it was a "Contest Winner"."
"Mabye I did something wrong, but this was just awful...all around. The outside of the bread was burnt by the time the inside was cooked, and the bread was dry, and crumbly. Stuck to the pan horribly (even with a generous coating of nonstick baking spray). The only thing I can think of is that the cherry juice measured exactly 1/2 cup so I did not add any water. Either way, definitely will not be making again. I even let the bread sit overnight and it was worse the next day. Was disappointed, looked so pretty in the picture!"