Maple Walnut Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes4 rolls (14 slices each)
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 cups ground walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat sour cream, butter and water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Punch dough down; divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 14x12-in. rectangle.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar and syrup; stir in walnuts. Sprinkle 1 cup over each rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 188 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 27, 2017
I halved the recipe and used chopped pecans, and it was delicious!
Dec 22, 2009
This took me back to when I was young & my father would make what he called "Nut Roll". I searched for years (after he passed away) trying to find a recipe that was close to his and this one is it! Finally the nut roll tradition will be part of our family holidays again. I cannot thank you enough!!!!!