Maple Walnut Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes4 rolls (14 slices each)
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 cups ground walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat sour cream, butter and water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Punch dough down; divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 14x12-in. rectangle.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar and syrup; stir in walnuts. Sprinkle 1 cup over each rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 188 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 27, 2017
I halved the recipe and used chopped pecans, and it was delicious!
Dec 22, 2009
This took me back to when I was young & my father would make what he called "Nut Roll". I searched for years (after he passed away) trying to find a recipe that was close to his and this one is it! Finally the nut roll tradition will be part of our family holidays again. I cannot thank you enough!!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.