- 44 Club crackers (2-1/2-inches x 1-inch)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Place crackers in a single layer in a parchment paper-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and syrup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread evenly over crackers.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until tops appear dry. Cool completely on a wire rack. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 44 crisps.
Reviews forMaple Walnut Crisps
"I made a mistake and forgot to put in the maple syrup and flavoring. Afterward,I put the 2 lq. together with a little water and used a cake decorating syringe and it was easier than when I did it correctly. the mistake way clumped nicely and didn't spead all over the pan."
"I've made these several times and they always are a hit. Just be sure to boil the sugar and butter mixture long enough."
"This is one of my son's favorite Christmas treat. I use only 1/2 cup butter and between 1/2 - 3/4 cup b. sugar to keep them a little healthier and they are still great!!!!"
"I took ZTRAK's comments to heart when I made this recipe. If you search for "Homemade Candy Bars" on this site you will get hints on how to alter the recipe to suit your tastes. I used 4 T. maple syrup instead of 2T. I added 1/4 c. evaporated milk and 2 c. vanilla wafer crumbs. I also added a second layer of 42 crackers. I followed the directions in "Homemade Candy Bars" more closely than the directions in this recipe. The result was quite good. This recipe was a good starting point for my finished product."
"Unfortunately, there are problems with this recipe. First, only 42 crackers will fit on a 15" x 10" baking pan. Also, the topping is entirely too wet. It soaks into the crackers and some of the crackers tend to float on top of each other. The tops never appear dry after baking even longer than the recommended time. They are a sticky mess. I may try the recipe again using only 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter instead of a full cup as listed."