Maple Walnut Biscotti Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or white baking chips
- 1. In a small bowl, beat eggs, egg white, syrup, sugar and vanilla until blended. Combine flours and baking soda; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well (dough will be sticky). Stir in walnuts and cranberries.
- 2. With floured hands, shape into two 10-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangles on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 22-26 minutes or until set.
- 3. Reduce heat to 325°. Place pan on a wire rack. When cool enough to handle, transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Place biscotti on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with chocolate; chill until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 28 biscotti.
Editor's Note: As a substitute for 1/2 cup oat flour, process 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats until finely ground.
1 cookie: 93 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.