Maple Vegetable Medley
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 large red onion
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into thirds and seeded
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into eight pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into eight pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring vinegar and syrup to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Cut onion into eight wedges to 1/2 in. of the bottom. Place the onion, asparagus, carrots, zucchini and peppers in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasonings; toss to coat.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Arrange vegetables on rack.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10 minutes on each side. Brush with half of the glaze; grill 5-8 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Before serving, brush with remaining glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 120 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 2, 2013
Really good side dish for a family dinner.
May 11, 2011
This isn't so much a review (although this looks like a great dish and I'd like to try it) as a question. According to this recipe, you'd be grilling these veggies for nearly half an hour. That doesn't seem right, and I wonder if that's why no one has reviewed this yet. Could it be that you grill the vegetables for a TOTAL of 10 minutes in the first step, rather than 10 minutes on each side? Has anyone tried it?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.