Maple Vegetable Medley
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 large red onion
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into thirds and seeded
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into eight pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into eight pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring vinegar and syrup to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Cut onion into eight wedges to 1/2 in. of the bottom. Place the onion, asparagus, carrots, zucchini and peppers in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasonings; toss to coat.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Arrange vegetables on rack.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10 minutes on each side. Brush with half of the glaze; grill 5-8 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Before serving, brush with remaining glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 120 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 2, 2013
Really good side dish for a family dinner.
May 11, 2011
This isn't so much a review (although this looks like a great dish and I'd like to try it) as a question. According to this recipe, you'd be grilling these veggies for nearly half an hour. That doesn't seem right, and I wonder if that's why no one has reviewed this yet. Could it be that you grill the vegetables for a TOTAL of 10 minutes in the first step, rather than 10 minutes on each side? Has anyone tried it?