Mashed potatoes are the secret ingredient that makes these flavorful treats nice and moist. My mother made them when I was young, and now my grandchildren request them.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, potatoes, shortening, sugar, egg and salt; mix well. Add 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 24 strips (5 in. x 1 in.). Twist strips; place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 223 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.