Maple Squash ‘n’ Apples
I was never a fan of squash. But when I came across this recipe several years ago, I tried making it. My family is glad I did. — Sharon Rink, Appleton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 small butternut squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 4 large apples, peeled and sliced
- In a small saucepan, combine the syrup, butter and apple juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in the cinnamon, salt and allspice. Set aside.
- Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Cut squash into 1/4-inch slices. Place a third of the squash in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the apples and a third of the squash. Top with alternating slices of remaining apples and squash. Pour syrup mixture over the top.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until squash is almost tender. Uncover, bake 15 minutes longer, basting twice.