- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 small butternut squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 4 large apple, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a small saucepan, combine the syrup, butter and apple juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in the cinnamon, salt and all-spice. Set aside.
- Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place a third of the squash in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the apples and a third of the squash. Top with alternating slices of remaining squash and apples. Pour syrup mixture over the top.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until squash is almost tender. Uncover, bake 15 minutes longer, basting twice. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forMaple Squash 'n' Apples
"Tried this 5 years ago and have been making it ever since. It has even appeared at our holiday table. Guests thought it was a sweet potato dish."