Maple Pecan Cake
When preparing to enter a baking contest many years ago, I kept fine-tuning this recipe until it was just right. My determination paid off...I was first runner-up! Chocolate frosting enhances the maple-nut flavor of the cake.—Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, maple syrup, water and maple flavoring. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in pecans and chocolate.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. For frosting, in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Pour into a large bowl; beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk and maple syrup. Frost cake; press pecans onto the top and sides of cake.
To Make Ahead: The unfrosted cake can be made the day before serving. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature. Frost before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 605 calories, 26g fat (6g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (72g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Maple Nut Chiffon Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.