Maple-Orange Pot Roast
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Place in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In the same skillet, combine the orange juice, syrup, wine, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, orange zest, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently; pour over meat.
- 3. Place the potatoes, carrots, celery and onions around roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4. Remove meat and vegetables and keep warm. Pour pan juices into a measuring cup. Discard bay leaf and skim fat. Return to roasting pan.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pot roast and vegetables.
3 ounce-weight: 335 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Nov 21, 2011
It was so tasty and my friends coming into the house, every single last one of them said "it smells gooood in here"
Sep 24, 2011
I made this last night and it was a big hit. The flavor was wonderful. I will definitely be making it again, though maybe use the crockpot.
Jan 15, 2010
I love this recipe. It tastes really good and it's easy to make. I just put everything in a crock pot all at once and eat when ready. I've made it multiple times and haven't gotten tired of it yet.
Dec 31, 1969
Could this be done in a slow cooker?
Apr 10, 2008
this was the first pot roast I ever made, and it was really easy and really good!