Maple-Orange Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Place in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray.
- In the same skillet, combine the orange juice, syrup, wine, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, orange zest, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently; pour over meat.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, celery and onions around roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables and keep warm. Pour pan juices into a measuring cup. Discard bay leaf and skim fat. Return to roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pot roast and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 335 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 21, 2011
It was so tasty and my friends coming into the house, every single last one of them said "it smells gooood in here"
Sep 24, 2011
I made this last night and it was a big hit. The flavor was wonderful. I will definitely be making it again, though maybe use the crockpot.
Jan 15, 2010
I love this recipe. It tastes really good and it's easy to make. I just put everything in a crock pot all at once and eat when ready. I've made it multiple times and haven't gotten tired of it yet.
Oct 27, 2008
Could this be done in a slow cooker?
Apr 10, 2008
this was the first pot roast I ever made, and it was really easy and really good!