Maple-Oat Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup warm strong brewed coffee (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add the coffee, oats, sugar, syrup, egg, shortening, salt, remaining water and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into four portions. Divide each portion into six pieces; shape each into a ball. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush rolls with butter. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 95 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 26, 2010
I tried this recipe for a dinner party during the holidays and it was a huge hit. I would make again and love the "Parker House" roll look in the 9x12 pan.
Jan 20, 2010
These are so good. I used my bread machine for the dough and then baked them as instructed. The coffee and maple flavors were so subtle and added so much to the taste. I served them at Thanksgiving and got many compliments.
Nov 30, 2009
I used the dough cycle on the bread machine putting the ingredients in in the order you normally would for a bread machine recipe. I baked the 24 rolls on a cookie sheet and we had them with our Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loved them. Easy (using dough cycle on bread machine) and delicious!!