VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (120°-130°)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional oats
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, oats and butter; cool to 110°-115°. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add the syrup, salt, egg, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining all-purpose flour (batter will be thick). Do not knead.
- Sprinkle additional oats into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Spoon batter into dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Maple Oat Batter Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p82
Reviews forMaple Oat Batter Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review