Maple Leaf Biscuits Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; lightly knead 10-12 times. Roll or pat to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. maple leaf cookie cutter or a biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Combine butter and syrup; lightly brush over tops of biscuits.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining syrup mixture. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 100 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Maple Leaf Biscuits
"These are fun and taste great. I'm taking them to an autumn church breakfast tomorrow."