Maple-Glazed Parsnips and Carrots
There's a sweet hint of spring in the vegetable medley Bill Richards drizzles with reduced-calorie pancake syrup. "I enjoy adapting recipes I find in my wife's magazines," the creative cook shares from Ironwood, Michigan. "This different side dish goes with many of the entrees I make when our family comes to dinner."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook and stir carrots and parsnips over medium heat in butter for 5 minutes. Combine the pancake syrup, orange juice, orange zest and salt; pour over carrot mixture. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Uncover; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and syrup mixture thickens and coats vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 144 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Maple-Glazed Parsnips and Carrots in Light & Tasty February/March 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.