I recently received this recipe from a friend who makes his own maple syrup. My family often requests these slightly sweet kabobs for our summer Sunday dinner cookout.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 small new potatoes or 1 large potato, cut into 8 chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into 8 pieces (2 inches each)
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound)
- 1 large green or large sweet red pepper
- 8 large mushrooms
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- Cut pork into 12 equal pieces and pepper into eight chunks. Onto four metal or wood skewers, thread meat and vegetables alternately; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, syrup and orange zest; cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted.
- Grill kabobs, uncovered, over medium heat for 5 minutes; turn and baste with butter mixture. Cook for 12-14 minutes longer or until the meat juices run clear, turning and basting frequently.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 627 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 9g fiber), 31g protein.
Jul 13, 2012
Nice flavor! Next time I'd boil the carrots until crisp-tender before skewering. Our pork was starting to dry out and the carrots were still too crisp for our liking. Or maybe I'll use squash insted of the carrots.