??Ring in the holidays with this rich, velvety custard. It has a light maple flavor that’s a nice change from traditional chocolate and vanilla flavors. —Sharlene Heatwole, McDowell, VA
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Sugar for rims of dishes, optional
- Additional maple syrup, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk and syrup until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, fold in whipped cream. If desired, serve in sugar-rimmed dishes and drizzle with additional syrup.