- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 4 quarts water, divided
- 6 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon, cut up or 1 cup cooked ham cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup maple syrup or maple-flavored syrup
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 5 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sort and rinse beans; place in a 4-qt. Dutch oven. Cover with 2 qts. cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans. Return beans to Dutch oven; cover with remaining water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and reserve liquid. In a 2-1/2-qt. casserole or bean pot, combine beans with all remaining ingredients. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until tender. Stir occasionally; add reserved bean liquid, if necessary. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forMaple Baked Beans
"These are a bit time intensive but definitely worth it. Loved the maple flavor. I made it over the Labor Day weekend when I had the time to dedicate to it. Like the other reviewers, I had to let the beans simmer for about 50-60 minutes rather than the 30-40 minutes."
"Outstanding! I made this recipe to the letter but had to boil the beans a little longer (closer to 50 minutes). The recipe sounds hard (with all the sorting and boiling) but the finished dish is worth the effort. The maple syrup provides a perfect balance of sweet."
"I used canned beans--red kidney, Lima, and light kidney beans, and I cooked them in a crock pot. I use ketchup with no sugar and real maple syrup. There is a small amount of sugar in the barbecue sauce, but overall the beans had very little sugar. This recipe is versatile enough to make the substitutions and still have a very good dish."
"I used already cooked beans for the recipe and it still turned out great!"
"Excellent recipe! When I make it again, I think I will boil the beans for a little longer (closer to 1 hour). Otherwise, the recipe is absolutely delicious just like it is written."