Maple Apple Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium Golden Delicious apples (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a skillet, melt butter. Add apples and brown sugar; cook and stir until apples are tender and coated, 15-20 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Spread evenly into shell.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and syrup until smooth; gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Pour over apples. Chill until set, about 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Gradually add sugar and cinnamon; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with pie. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 421 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 20, 2011
I have made this pie several times over the years and it never fails to receive rave reviews!
Jan 22, 2011
This is a wonderful recipe. It is one of my choices when I want to end a meal in style!
Sep 14, 2010
This pie is delicious!