Manicotti with Eggplant Sauce
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 6 manicotti shells, cooked, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir the eggplant, onion, garlic, tarragon and thyme until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, egg substitute, Parmesan and parsley; mix well. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- Place in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon eggplant sauce over manicotti; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 252 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 30, 2013
This is a great recipe! I love finding recipes that call for summer vegetables. Eggplant especially, as I feel that I grow it only to look at because I cant seem to find recipes my family likes made with eggplant. Will make again!
Aug 24, 2010
This was delicious. Since it's produce season, I blanched and peeled fresh tomatoes for the sauce and instead of spinach, I used kale that I froze earlier in the summer. Next time, I will add some hot peppers for some heat.
Aug 26, 2009
My husband loved it but not being on low sodium diet, he wanted me to add more salt and maybe a little garlic