Mango-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
These sweet potatoes remind me of my grandmother's baked sweet potato gratin. The mango nectar adds a sweet citrus twist. To add a little heat, add a dash of cayenne pepper. —Kathi Jones-Delmonte, Rochester, New York
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 2 cans (11.3 ounces each) mango nectar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first five ingredients over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes; stir to coat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until potatoes just begin to soften. Remove from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, layer a fourth of the potatoes in a greased 8-in. square baking dish, leaving sauce in pan. Top with a third of the cranberries. Repeat layers twice. Top with potatoes.
- Bring sauce to a boil over medium-high heat. Whisk in cream. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until sauce is reduced by a third, stirring occasionally. Pour over potatoes; dot with butter.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Mango-Glazed Sweet Potato Gratin in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.